It has been reported by WHO that need for antibiotics is growing enormously as there is the limited treatment for drug-resistant infections which is a matter of grief.
This need is difficult to meet because there are very few antibiotics under development which could fight the drug-resistant infections.
These are some common causes of antibiotic resistance;
- A person may become resistant to antibiotics due to the over-prescription of antibiotics.If a patient does not finish the complete course of antibiotics, then he/she may get antibiotic-resistant.
- Due to poor infection control in healthcare settings.
Overuse of antibiotics in fish farming, poultry, and cattle rearing.
- Poor hygiene and sanitation are leading to recurring infections.
- Drug resistance or antimicrobial resistance also arise when bacteria evolve and combat the antibiotic drugs, due to which the efficacy of antibiotics reduces thus desired therapeutic effect is not achieved. According to CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), USA millions of people are infected with drug-resistant pathogens every year and thousands die. The most deadly one is Clostridium difficile, and it causes millions of deaths worldwide every year.
- One of the biggest threat globally is drug-resistant tuberculosis which causes about half a million deaths every year.
Thus it is urged by WHO that individuals must avoid the overuse of antibiotics, should complete the entire course of antibiotics and keep proper hygiene and sanitation.
The pharma companies should also work for the development of newer antibiotics.